Sunday, September 23, 2007

Where tired, old, unofficial mottos come to die

I never liked "Where fun comes to die" as the unofficial UofC motto. It just never seemed to capture life there; neither for me nor anyone I knew--we just had a different type of fun (eg Scavhunt).

Anecdotally, it appears that UofC has a new unofficial motto: "That's all very well and good in practice, but how does it work in theory?" Naomi S. first told me of the line, and I was instantly crushing. I have already seen the t-shirt here in Ann Arbor, one of my professors (Shmuel) quoted it in a workshop in Berkeley, and bought two shirts (for himself and his son), and I saw at least two or three of them around campus today (on my search for the Really Bad Hegel translation, by Oxford)--but no "Where fun comes to die" shirts!

I hope it's a trend.

2 comments:

Yehuda said...

To me, the best unofficial U of C motto is an old one that used to appear on shirts:
"Any place else it would have been an A"

miriam said...

i want one!