Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Old Friends

Man, I miss that apartment. Two years I lived there.

Anyhow, an "update" for all those who care, and really, more for myself when I read this in 4 years:

I'm at Yeshivat Hamivtar, and really liking it. Rav Brovender is, as Jeremy Ginsburg says, "A hoot" - and runs a great shiur too. All the rebeim here are really cool, and my chavrutas, and well, that's like 90% of the experience right there. I'm totally learning a ton. Yay. It is kind of sad that I will have to leave this world in just a few weeks and start working, but I think that I will remember how great this learning stuff is for at least a few years, and that makes it all worth it.

In fact, the whole idea of working seems kind of remote at this point. I totally understand now how people get "lost" in the yeshiva world - it never occurs to them to stop learning, and the idea of working probably seems foreign after a few years of this. (Note: I don't think that's a bad thing.) I have reason to suspect, however, that the current "fire" I have - which is also present in the other fellows who have been there less than a month - runs out eventually, but I guess I won't find out for a long time. In any case, this seems to be the almost universal experience of the people I have spoken to.

I look forward to hearing from other 3w alumni in the future. Drop an email - I'm in Israel until July 11th.

No comments: