Tuesday, February 08, 2005

After The End

I had a wonderful time in Puerto Rico. Everyone should do it; twice. I would blog more about it, but I doubt it will ever happen.

The Buffalo has hit the fan. In all my ranting about Western New York I never actually believed the place was as doomed as we made it sound. Apparently I was wrong. What do you do after the apocalypse? Thousands of layoffs. No more parks (even if they are a tax on the poor, they are still pretty). No more Zoo. No more libraries. No more Buffalos. So depressing.

I really feel like democracy has failed. Really and truly. Both sides, the legislature and the County Comptroller balked at raising taxes, and as a result Buffalo will die. Democracies don't do this. This is what de Tocqueville worried about and for some reason has never come to pass. Elected officials just decide to roll over and play dead. Now what? We can't make them be not-stupid.

Also, my Nonny is very ill...

Goodnight room. Goodnight moon. Goodnight cow jumping over the moon. Goodnight little house. Goodnight little mouse. Goodnight clocks and goodnight socks. Goodnight kittens and goodnight mittens. Goodnight comb and brush. Goodnight to the little old lady whispering, "hush". Goodnight stars. Goodnight air.

Goodnight noises everywhere.

- Goodnight Moon, By: Margaret Wise Brown, Illustrated by: Clement Hurd; Harper Collins Press 1947

No comments: