Tuesday, January 15, 2008

They're not selling Air for cheap

Apple announced it's Macbook Air today. I knew it was going to be bad news when Jobs stated that it comes with 2GB of RAM standard. No portable mac has that (Apple is notorious for skimping on standard RAM). I am just upset because there have been rumors about this bad-bod for months now and I was set. In the end they shaved 0.25" and 2 pounds and jacked the price $750 over the Macbook ($1,800). Its area is even slightly bigger (only hundredths of an inch, mind you) than the Macbook. 2 lbs or $800? Guess it's not for me. Who is it for? Is is the same length and width of the Macbook and doesn't have enough power for a professional user. The fast paced, executive, on-the-go Mac-y? The corporate world doesn't use PCs. No doubt, it is a gorgeous machine, but I can only imagine that it will eventually merge with the Macbook line as prices drop for comparable hardware. Shucks.

2 comments:

ginsbu said...

So whatcha gonna get now, Zev?

I've been pondering the question myself without much success. I did discover, though, that my iLamp will slip into our living room shelves with the screen lowered, so we'll have a tidy place to put it whenever it finally gets demoted to a file and music server.

ginsbu said...

Cheryl and I happened to be walking by the 5th Ave Apple store and popped in to have a look at the MBA. I must say that it is the first laptop I've seen that I could imagine regularly carrying around and using. When we went over to look at the regular MacBooks, I came away thinking they were just bulky and heavy enough that I would try to avoid actually taking one with me -- and, if so, what's the point in having a notebook? That said, the MBA needs to drop $200+ in price before I'd give it serious thought. I guess that leaves me leaning towards another iMac when the time comes...